About Olive Juice

This is a journal of sorts of our ideas (as the design goddesses that we are) that don't necessarily get executed and instead just live in our heads. Punctuated of course with things we just plain love, covet, or if you will..."Olive Juice".




Sunday, April 11, 2010

Repurposing…


At the shop, I used to sell Lofco candles which are the most amazing smelling candles. They are a soy based candle that burns for over 100 hours in a hand-blown glass vessel. I always thought it was such a shame to throw away the beautiful glass after the candle was gone so I decided to try and reuse it as a vase. I chose my two favorite scents as test cases: Penthouse (Champagne scent infused with ginger, raspberry and pink grapefruit) and Powder Room (Duchess Peony combined with camellia with a hint of rain mist and cassis)…each candle in the line is smartly named after a different room the house.


I filled my sink with HOT water and Dawn and let the candles soak over night. It was surprisingly easy to dig the remaining candle wax from the glass as it was so soft from soaking. I hand washed them and let them soak again in cold water for a while before rewashing them and letting them dry. The candle is slightly oily so I wanted to make sure that I got all of the oily residue off the glass before putting flowers in it. I chose to use pink and orange hybrid roses cut short. I think that it turned out quite cute!

{snapshots of soaking, drying and arranging}


voila!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply Beautiful! The color combinations are beautiful.